Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: I need a good first super 8 camera

  1. #1
    Matt Pacini
    Guest Matt Pacini's Avatar

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jefury:
    "Just don't get a camera that can record sound because sound film is no longer manufactured. "
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    This is completely irrelevant.
    All Super 8 sound cameras will shoot the silent cartridges, and also, most but not all of the best Super 8 cameras happen to be sound cameras.

    Anyway, my suggestion is the Nikon Super Zoom. I don't know about finding one for $10-20, but it could happen.

    Make sure you get a camera that can shoot 24fps if you ever plan on successfully transferring your footage to video without flicker.

    ------------------

  2. #2
    9Jen11
    Guest 9Jen11's Avatar
    Hello. I recently got really interested in the super 8 medium and need a camera. I saw quite a few i can get on ebay for 10 bucks. I am looking for a camera in the 10-20 dollar price range. I dont need a high quality camera, in fact i'm looking forward to making low quality films.

    Can you suggest a good cheap camera?

    Thanks
    -Jen

    ------------------

  3. #3
    jefury
    Guest jefury's Avatar

    Post

    I'm not sure what a cheap camera would be but you can get some at garage sales or asking around at camera shops. I actually recieved my super-8 camera for free. Well, I'm probably not much help. Just don't get a camera that can record sound because sound film is no longer manufactured.

    So good luck!

    Jeff

    ------------------

  4. #4
    seekaee
    Guest seekaee's Avatar

    Cool

    Take a look at some of the GAF series of cameras on E-bay.I've always liked the GAF ss 805.Very cool design,sorta looks like a mini scoopic smile
    http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1319214314
    http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1319296500



    ------------------

  5. #5
    jefury
    Guest jefury's Avatar

    Post

    Sorry, am I bad.

    Jeff

    ------------------

  6. #6
    Hanthx
    Guest Hanthx's Avatar

    Talking

    Jefury

    Often overlooked are the Minolta series.
    Ive seen many in great shape go for a few bucks.

    S-

    ------------------

  7. #7
    mcflytrap
    Guest mcflytrap's Avatar

    Post

    I've been told the Canon 514XL-S is good. They seem to be running pretty cheap on eBay.

    -mcfly-

    ------------------


    [This message has been edited by mcflytrap (edited January 10, 2002).]

  8. #8
    seekaee
    Guest seekaee's Avatar

    Post

    I would still think about getting a GAF. A friend of mine who got me hooked into S-8 last year had a GAF ST 805. It?s equipped with a pretty darn good lens (F. 1.7/ 7.5 to 60mm) has a 220 degree shutter (good for low-light situations) and a frame rate of, 18,24,48 and single frame (it?s important that your camera can shoot at 24 FPS if your going to port the footage to video) has what I think is a cool looking design but most of all they?re super CHEAP!($5 to $30 on E-bay) Infact ,one?s being sold now as we speak :
    http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1319930665

    Heck, I might even buy one smile

    Also, before you get anything, take a look at the SUPER 8 LIST so you can look- up the specks on any camera you?re interested in buying. There?s also a really good beginner's guide to S-8 cameras on the site as well.
    http://www.kolumbus.fi/puistot/about.htm




    [This message has been edited by seekaee (edited January 11, 2002).]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •